 General / 5884
Re: New SW contest proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 21:45:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Thomas Jr. writes:

I agree with you that AFOL's are busy people, I had to make time for lego a
couple nights ago, after about a two week drought.  Actually, I'd love it if
I could draw some non AFOL's into the contest, some honest to goodness kids.
Wouldn't you just love losing to a 12 year old?

heh  But if he's a better designer then more power to him.

Every AFOL who enters
should make a point of letting some of the neigbor kids use his/her
collection to enter in the contest.

And encouraging membership in a local Lego club.

I could even make a 16 and under
sub-catagory, with a lego prize to the winner.  I think we'd be surprised
what some of these kids could come up with, if they've got the legos to
build with.  And would it kill us to pay their entry fee even?

If I were running the contest, I'd just keep it at $5.00 for the adults, and
tell the adults the prize money goes to the 16 and under crowd (which it
would), and reward the AFOL's with bricks/sets only. I'd also further
subdivide the younger categories because what an 8-year-old can build and what
a 15-year-old can build are often vastly different (assuming you actually get
some 15-year-olds who aren't in their dark ages :-)

-Tom McD.
when replying, new Spamcake Ultra, now with more scouring action!