 General / 5880
Re: New SW contest proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:16:21 GMT

I'm not a frequent poster, and have only come out of my "Dark Ages"
recently.  I am however an avid AFOL (check out my site), and I have made
some posts to these News groups.  I'm definitely not trying to scheme
anybody out of money.  I don't think you'd have to worry about it anyway,
since if I schemed just one person on these newsgroups, everyone would know
about it in a hurry, not much chance I'd make any money there is there?

No, I just thought making a contest with a prize of significant value would
be a worthwhile endeavor, and by charging a small entry fee, I don't have to
shell out a big chunk of money myself.  Sure, nobody builds lego with an eye
for making a profit, but what's the sense of entering a contest if there's
nothing up for grabs?  All entries in my contest would be posted on my site,
so everybody will know how many people are entered, and how much money is in
the pot, so to speak.

Actually, the main reason I suggested a cash prize in the first place was
that it seems very few people are entering Pat Justison's contest.  I did.
I was hoping to correct some of the things that might be deterring some
people from entering, as well as start up a new feature for my website.  If
this contest works, then I would like to make this a regular feature, with a
new contest every couple of months.  I had planned on working in a contest
feature for my site from the beginning, and I would like to see my site grow
into a respected place for people to find the best MOC's on the web.

I don't have a problem doing the logo thing, it just seems kind of pointless
to me is all.  I posted a suggestion in lugnet just a few minutes ago about
an alternative form of entry.  Tell me what you think.

Perhaps you are right though, a first contest with a logo only prize might
be in order to start the ball rolling.

Here's another thought.  What if $5.00 not only gets you entered in the
contest, but you get a starwars minifig too?  I have a lot of them, and will
undoubtedly be getting a lot more.  Do you think that eases the pain of
shelling out money at all?  I'm just throwing out suggestions.  I want all
the feedback I can get.

-Dave Jr.
(P.S., sorry for the long post)