 General / 5898
Re: Why 5 to 6?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:03:51 GMT

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 23:06:30 GMT, "Robert Munafo"
<munafo@gcctechNO.SPAMcom> wrote:

Why is the 5-to-6 ratio supposed to be such a great thing?

Umm, because it allows you to create a nanofig-scale Borg spaceship, out of
just three parts?

I still think that a
5-to-5 or 6-to-6 ratio (better known as 1-to-1) would have been much better. It
would, for example, make it much easier to build things at right angles to
other things and have it all line up.

Yep, that geometry can get annoying.

I'm usually pretty smart, but this issue still has me guessing.

You've got me.  Maybe the great prophet Larry will expand on his previous
statement.

My *feeling* is that a 1:1 system would too much like kiddy-blocks.  You
know, some weenie building system that no one wants to touch?

Also, the chosen dimensions allow a 2x4 brick to look more like a
real-world brick.  Which was probably a big deal when the whole system was
designed.

Steve