 General / 6027
Re: Why 5 to 6?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 02:59:29 GMT

This is fascinating stuff, and although I am too lazy to appreciate the math:-p,
I found a site that graphically depicts a golden rectangle at work:
http://www.vashti.net/mceinc/goldsqre.htm

Now *that's* some weird wild stuff;-)

-John

Robert Munafo wrote:

Well, as you discovered, 5:6 isn't close to the Golden Ratio, but it's still a
good idea. Perhaps you were thinking of 10:6, the aspect ratio of the "end"
face of a 2x4 brick, which is fairly close to the Golden Ratio.

In lugnet.general, David Leese writes:
I know it's not the answer you were expecting, but 5:6 is close
to the 'golden ratio' used by the Greeks/Romans in their architecture.
They discovered/deduced that the ratio of 1:1.6 has a certain
mathematical beauty (I *wish* I could remember the derivation);

The derivation is:

  1 + phi = 1 / phi

where "phi" is the Golden Ratio. This has the effect that if you take a Golden
rectangle and remove a square, the remaining part is a smaller Golden
rectangle.

and 1/1.6 = 0.625 while 5/6 = 0.833.  I know it doesn't look close,
but trust me, it's close enough to bring about a certain feel-good
factor.... ish.