 General / 5009
Re: Is it Just Me or is the RTL on its way out!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 16:40:52 GMT

I haven't been keeping up with R.T.L. lately... I downloaded the group
the other day and have been trying to wade through the messages for the
past couple of days.. What ever happened to the chats about how to build
something? other building ideas?  it seems to be to be 70% auction
postings, 10% I'm looking for this part postings, 10% looking for inst.
postings, 5% FOTW's, 2% spam, 2% drivel [1], and 1% building ideas..

There used to be a lot more conversation on r.t.l than there is now,
which might be why most of us have migrated over here.. or it is because
most of us migrated over to lugnet? have we taken the good chat's with
us?
Either way, I have to thank Todd for hosting this list, and giving us
more than we could have ever gotten with a newsgroup!

Tamy
hoping this stays for a long time!

[1] drivel, Might be of interest to some just not me.

Thomas Main wrote:

Doyle Nelson wrote:

Hello,

I'm posting here, because I noticed a lot of old time rtl'ers are postinf here
more now than the RTL. O cant believe the stupid topics and lack of responce
there! See I was gone on vacation and havent really visited the RTL in months
maybe once in a blue moon. And now what I see is something. Hardly anybody
there I know, and the topics sound as if they are little kids talking. Just
thought I would run this by you guys to see if you felt the same way or not?

<snip>

I don't think r.t.l is on its way out.  There are still a lot of
informative posts on r.t.l that never make it to the LUGNET groups.  I
am one of those that wishes there would be a way for r.t.l to be hosted
on the LUGNET server because it is hard for me to read r.t.l (I have to
use deja.com to do so).  One thing that worries me about the LUGNET
groups is that not enough new people (in comparison to r.t.l) are
joining.  Also, a culture and mindset has developed here that, while not
necessarily bad, seems conservative and slightly intolerant of "out
group" ideas and attitudes.  Also, the "group think" syndrome seems to
be prevalent on both r.t.l and LUGNET.  One example of this is the utter
LACK of support for the "Timmy" minifig.  It amazes me that EVERYBODY
hates "Timmy."  While I realize that this particular example has become
somewhat of a universal joke on these groups, I worry that there are
other, more serious issues where a minority opinion is drowned by the
consensus of the majority.

--
Thomas Main (Always on the outside, looking in)
main@appstate.edu