 General / 38732
Re: This topic sounds familiar... (was Re: NBA)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:50:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Michael Dallaston writes:
Personally I think it's too much of a stretch representing a black person
with yellow plastic.  A yellow Lando would be as wrong as a moustache-less
Lando.  Pretending there are no races does not defeat racism.

Please wait for me to put my asbestos armour on before replying, thanks :)
Michael Dallaston

I agree Micheal! What if Lego decides to make specific, individual player
figs for the upcoming NBA line? (Unlikely...) Do you think that "yellow"
would fly for Michael Jordan? Hardly! What about A Lego Golf line? (That'd
be cool!) Would a yellow Tiger Woods go over?

The solution to this is so simple, I just can't understand why Lego would
hold out for so long. I hate to use Playmobil as an example of what Lego
should do (hah!) in this case, but it illustrates how easy it is....

What do they say.. sometimes the simplest solution is the best one?

http://store.playmobilusa.com

Playmobil avoids the whole "dozens of skintones/pleasing everyone" slippery
slope by making what is esentially a "light" and a "dark." The light is a
non-descript pink/beige/caucasian tone, that could be imagined to be MANY
races. (Again this is all about IMAGINATION isn't it?) And they also have a
darker skin tone, which could ALSO be imagined to be any number of races. 2
simple tones..... which could be used as dozens.... perhaps hundreds of races!

Problem solved....

Thanks for the comments!
-Tommy

P.S. I am not very familiar with the Playmobil line, so my info may be in
error... it does seem that Playmobil may have other "skin tones" than the
dark and light that I mention above. Perhaps a reddish tone? I'll have to
poke around further on their site.