 General / 38701
Re: NBA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 23:00:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bruce Hietbrink writes:

One other argument--the old line was that there was a poll back when
minifigs first came out and kids chose yellow as the best skin tone.  The
problem is, the color choices in Lego at the time were red, white, blue,
green, yellow, and black (maybe gray? maybe a couple of others).  Now we get
new colors every year.  Now we have colors like tan, sand red, brown, etc,
that could conceivably be realistic skin tones.

You make some good points Bruce! I wonder when that "Poll" was conducted.
Was it with a group of children from various races? Hmmm....

I just don't buy the whole idea of a design "standard" that Lego is trying
to stay so true to... The range of parts and pieces is so staggering, even
if you just look at the minifigs alone, that there is no longer a "design
standard"... other than the QUALITY that we all know and love. So many parts
and pieces and colors.... what's the big deal about adding other minifig colors?

Example: Why is "Snape" in the HP set that odd blueish-green? He isn't
blueish-green in the movie. He isn't in the books.

Lego has proven that they can cast alternative colors when they want to.
(And with no clear reason... at least none that I see...)

My point is, if they are willing to make a blueish-green Snape minifig head
for no really valuable reason, then why can't they just make other races as
well? It's not rocket science as they say.......... Just plug in some new
vats of ABS!

-Tommy