 General / 38704
38703  |  38705
Subject:
This topic sounds familiar... (was Re: NBA)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 01:28:19 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Cheng writes:
I like LEGO's direction of keeping a standard colour for the minifig heads
because I believe by doing so, LEGO actually sends out a message to the
children that we should always treat other people the same no matter which
skin colour they have or which race they are.  Why start diversifying
different races for them?  I mean, we have way too many racisms in our world
already, wouldn't it be better for children from all around the world to
start perceiving others as the same?
As for the special colour heads, all those characters that got a special
heads are fictional characters.  We imagine that Han Solo is a "white"
person because we've seen the movie, but let's say if an Asian kid just read
the novel without seeing the movie, Han Solo might probably be an Asian
because he/she could relate himself to the images in his/her mind.

I know this topic has been debated waaay too many times, but since Lego
started representing real-life people (Starwars, etc) this problem was bound
to come up.

Personally I think it's too much of a stretch representing a black person
with yellow plastic.  A yellow Lando would be as wrong as a moustache-less
Lando.  Pretending there are no races does not defeat racism.

Please wait for me to put my asbestos armour on before replying, thanks :)
Michael Dallaston