 General / 38725
Re: This topic sounds familiar... (was Re: NBA)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 01:52:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, John P. Henderson writes:
I just read this whole thread so far (although didn't read the previous
threads on the subject).

This is a tough one.  I can see valid arguements on both sides.  Make all
mini-figs based on the original yellow standard, or allow for various skin
tones for realism but with the risk of racism or PC backlash.  I'm not sure
where I stand on this.

My first thought is that the market studies that led TLC to make
yellow-skinned figs were probably conducted in mostly-white Europe
(Denmark?), and the yellow at the time was the closest to Caucasian color.
But the truth is that Lego yellow is *not* Caucasion.  It is pretty much
non-racial.  Sure, it is far from black or brown skin-tone, but it isn't
white either.  In some ways, that is the safe route for TLC to go.  If they
start making brown color mini-figs, then they would need to make black, and
white, and tan, etc. etc.  There would be a lot to represent.  Could they do
it, yes, but as I say, this is the easier way.
I don't think it has to be an all-or-nothing solution.  I'm not advocating
using realistic skin tones for all, just two - yellow for 'light races'
(i.e. most of them) and brown for 'dark races' (african and aboriginal
descent).  I know yellow isn't realistically caucasian but there's no way it
could be used to represent a member of a 'dark race', so if Lego wants to do
one (Lando, Mace etc) then it has to do them in brown.

In my opinion :)
Michael Dallaston