 General / 38648
Re: Is too much lego play time for kids a bad thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 18:14:33 GMT

Hi all,

Just to add my two cents to everyone else's great comments.  The only
downsides I see are a lack of exercise and a lack of social interaction.
The social interaction is easily taken care of if he has some friend who
also likes to play with Legos and they play together.  I had a best friend
as a kid and we each had our Legos and we'd build spaceships together and
have little battles etc.  On the exercise, I would just say that you have to
at times limit his Lego play and send him outside.  I was a big reader as a
kid (still am, but don't have as much time to read).  I can't count the
number of times my mom told me "Put that book down and go out and get some
fresh air."  Not that reading is a bad thing, of course, just that I needed
to go out and run around in the yard and climb a tree and dig in the sandbox
etc.
So, while I thought the lock down idea was interesting, I'd be more measured
and say only two hours of Lego play (or whatever time works best for your
child) and then he has to go do something else.  That's how my parents
treated the TV--I could watch a certain amount of Saturday morning cartoons,
but then I had to go outside.

Bruce