 General / 38640
Re: Is too much lego play time for kids a bad thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:47:14 GMT

(Quick sidenote: PLEASE be careful with two toddlers playing with System
bricks! My kids are just 3 and almost 1, and I've had to keep my LEGO away
from both for safety's sake...not that they don't seem to inexplicably • find
it! My daughter is just going to have to stay in Duplo/Explore until her
brother is old enough for System as well.)

My daughter, Grace, is almost two and she has a Rubbermaid shoebox full of
System parts. She only plays with them supervised. Her box has 2x2 bricks,
2x4, 2x6, etc, the larger FreeStyle windows and doors, big wheels and
mini-figures.

She *rarely* puts the parts in her mouth. But children will do it and you
just have to be careful.

Grace mainly plays with the mini-figures, horses, cars doors and windows. I
build little houses for her and she can occupy herself for quite a while
putting the mini-figs in and out of the houses. She also loves the Soccer
bus sets. A handful of Lego System elements will keep her quite happy during
church or when we are out to dinner.

I have also noticed that, while she likes the standard mini-figures, she
also really likes the larger scale Jack Stone figures. She has Max & Tina
from one of the buckets. (I think it bothers her that the hair does not come
off - she likes the mini-fig hair and hat parts). Grace manipulates both
style figures with equal ease. And I believe there is definately room for
both types in the Lego line.

I think one reason she likes the Lego/Duplo elements so much are the people.
Duplo/Jack Stone/Mini-figure - she loves them all. There are such a wide
variety of familiar people to work with.

Fisher Price's Little People line (
http://www.fisher-pricestore.com/fpecom/plsql/fp1.page?id=52575&section=TOD_
IN ) competes with Duplo at this level. But I think in the long term, Lego
will win out because of the construction element.

And yes, I think she is becoming obsessed as well.

Suz - perhaps there should be a lugnet.parenting group for discussions about
the smaller Lego fans?

Bryan