 General / 38636
Re: Is too much lego play time for kids a bad thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 05:09:35 GMT

"John" <John@TCLTC.org> wrote in message news:H2xD0z.ApM@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, Bob Gomez writes:
Dear fellow AFOL's and parents,

[ ... snipped ... ]

I echo Maggie's sentiments.  Having raised a son who was indeed obsessed • with
LEGO as yours is (my son is now 12), I can say that it has been only a • positive
experience.  He never watches TV, never played video games (just • discovering
them now:-/) but is one heck of a builder, problem-solver, and math whiz • (which
I partially attribute to building with LEGO).

Bottom line is that there is no better way for a child to express their
creativity than with a "toy" such as LEGO IMO.  As Maggie said, be • *glad*:-)

-John

I too am the parent of a child who will litteraly spend hours in his
building with his bricks.  I also echo the comments made by Maggie and John.
One of his teachers told my wife and I that she believed that playing with
LEGO made kids smarter, particularly in the math and problem solving areas.

The only downside I have seen to his extended brick building sessions is he
can be a bit irritable when he returns to interact with the rest of the
family.  After spending a bunch of time alone, his social interaction isn't
the best.  It doesn't take long for him to return to his normal behavior but
it is something we pay attention.  It is less of an issue now that my
daughter likes to build with him so the two of them build together.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com