 General / 38632
Re: Is too much lego play time for kids a bad thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 04:38:56 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bob Gomez writes:

Dear fellow AFOL's and parents,

I have a 2 year old son (almost 3) and a 1 year old son. I have a concern
about my almost 2 year old son.  This is my concern. I have lots of Lego
in the house.  I have set up my son with a bunch of lego probably 1000
pieces that I got at a garage sale for him to play with.

(Quick sidenote: PLEASE be careful with two toddlers playing with System
bricks! My kids are just 3 and almost 1, and I've had to keep my LEGO away
from both for safety's sake...not that they don't seem to inexplicably find
it! My daughter is just going to have to stay in Duplo/Explore until her
brother is old enough for System as well.)

My concern is that he spends alot of time playing with them. I work all
day, my wife is home with the kids and I have noticed that some days he
spends several hours, like 5 or 6 hours a day playing with them.

Now despite Maggie and John's replies, I actually find this
overboard...especially if he's failing to interact with his mother,

Is he doing ANYTHING else during the LEGO play time? Breaks for
snacks/meals, have TV shows on, play with the baby?

My concern is that it seems obsessive.  Maybe I’m crazy.  When I was a
kid I also spent alot of time playing with Lego and I know it did me no
harm.  I’m a pretty new parent and I just wanted to see if anyone else
has had these types of feelings.

ABC's 20/20 ran a story on obsessed early learners in the last few months
(I'm sorry, I can't remember when, and can't find a link anywhere...looking
for one is what kept me from answering you right away). If you missed it, it
featured several children who were exhibiting advanced skills at 2, 3, 4 and
5 years old. It was heartbreaking...the one little boy I recall most vividly
was so obsessed with reading at age 3 or 4 that he couldn't walk through a
parking lot without reading all of the license plates on the cars.

If your son is exhibiting obsessive behavior, you might want to consider
locking away the bricks on a trial basis. See if he pines for the toys,
moves on to some other obsessive activity, or falls into a more random
(regular?) play pattern with lots of different toys. If everything seems OK,
bring the bricks back out. If he exhibits obsessive patterns with another
activity, you might want to seek help.

I guess the big difference is that when I was a kid my dad did not have
65000 Lego bricks in the house for me to play with.  He also did not
"want" to play with them as much as I do.  To me it just seems like its all
kind of too much.

That brings up an interesting sub-text: Would you say that YOU are spending
an inordinate ammount of time with your bricks? Toddlers are natural
mimics...is he perhaps emulating you in this behavior? Just another thought...

I’m sure many of you will respond that "there is no such thing as too
much", but I have a real concern about this.

That's what I was thinking as well...that's why I worked so hard trying to
find some info for you...sorry all I have to relate is personal
thoughts/experiences.

Thanks for any advise/experience that you may have.

I certainly hope it helps.

Matt