 General / 38630
Re: Is too much lego play time for kids a bad thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 04:12:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bob Gomez writes:
Dear fellow AFOL's and parents,

I have a 2 year old son (almost 3) and a 1 year old son. I have a concern
about my almost 2 year old son.  This is my concern. I have lots of Lego in
the house.  I have set up my son with a bunch of lego probably 1000 pieces
that I got at a garage sale for him to play with.  My concern is that he
spends alot of time playing with them. I work all day, my wife is home with
the kids and I have noticed that some days he spends several hours, like 5
or 6 hours a day playing with them. He loves to make little rocket ships for
all his Lego men to fly around in.  He also loves to play with my pirate
ships that I rebuild for him after work on a daily basis.  In general, he
just loves to play with the Lego stuff all day. I find it fascinating to see
what he builds and "how" he plays with them.  I know it?s a good thing and I
also know that it?s better than watching TV.

My concern is that it seems obsessive.  Maybe I?m crazy.  When I was a kid I
also spent alot of time playing with Lego and I know it did me no harm.  I?m
a pretty new parent and I just wanted to see if anyone else has had these
types of feelings.

I guess the big difference is that when I was a kid my dad did not have
65000 Lego bricks in the house for me to play with.  He also did not "want"
to play with them as much as I do.  To me it just seems like its all kind of
too much.

I?m sure many of you will respond that "there is no such thing as too much",
but I have a real concern about this.

Thanks for any advise/experience that you may have.

Bob Gomez

I echo Maggie's sentiments.  Having raised a son who was indeed obsessed with
LEGO as yours is (my son is now 12), I can say that it has been only a positive
experience.  He never watches TV, never played video games (just discovering
them now:-/) but is one heck of a builder, problem-solver, and math whiz (which
I partially attribute to building with LEGO).

Bottom line is that there is no better way for a child to express their
creativity than with a "toy" such as LEGO IMO.  As Maggie said, be *glad*:-)

-John