 General / 38639
Re: Is too much lego play time for kids a bad thing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 05:21:51 GMT

"Matthew Gerber" <Matthew@BlockType.com> wrote in message

[ ... snipped ... ]

(Quick sidenote: PLEASE be careful with two toddlers playing with System
bricks! My kids are just 3 and almost 1, and I've had to keep my LEGO away
from both for safety's sake...not that they don't seem to inexplicably • find
it! My daughter is just going to have to stay in Duplo/Explore until her
brother is old enough for System as well.)

[ ... snipped ... ]

Are your concerns about swallowing bricks or some other reason?

In our house we used to be very worried about the swallowing aspect of
smaller parts.  We have become less concerned over the years.  So far none
of our four kids have swallowed a LEGO yet (emphasis on the yet) and now we
have LEGO all over the place.  I try to keep it contained[1] but inevitably
the baby will find one.  She will put them in her mouth but she always spits
them back out.  I will pull them out of her mouth when I see them but
sometimes she has them for a while.

Mike

[1] - My stuff is pretty well contained, it is behind a closed door in my
office.  It is my son who is the big culprit of spreading LEGO around the
house!

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com