 General / 38638
Re: Semi-OT: Need info on domain name purchasing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 07:35:54 GMT

I have 3 domains in order to handle the traffic of my car sites (and I'm still
near maxing my 10Gig/mo with my Earthlink, time to shift some files to the other
domains that can handle 6Gig/mo), and I've found that Network Solutions is the
absolute most expensive way to pay for a domain name, and they give no better
guarantees/support than any other system these days.  So avoid them if possible
(he says, knowing he's been too lazy to shift his one domain from them for
several years...).

As for cheap accounts, 2 of mine are with DixieSys (http://www.dixiesys.com/),
they're pretty cheap overall, and answer questions almost immediately at the
strangest hours ;-)

You can find domain reg cheaper than the $15 it costs at DixieSys if you shop
around, but if you want one place billing you, you should check out their site.

David Simmons wrote:

Hey all,

Since the update to my website and my posts to .castle and .space, I got an
e-mail from my ISP, Earthlink, telling me that I've used 75% of my alloted
bandwith.  If I exceed it they'll shut my site down for the rest of the
month:

Dear EarthLink Member,

Your free member Web site http://home.earthlink.net/~xenobuzz has been
popular this month -- maybe a little too popular. According to our records,
your Web site has exceeded 75% of your traffic allotment this month.

If your free Web site traffic exceeds 1024 MB, the site will become
unavailable until the beginning of the next month.  During that time, no one
will be able to access your site and you will have only limited abilities to
publish to or modify the site's contents.

WHY?
We have determined that 1024 MB of traffic is more than enough for the vast
majority of personal Web sites.  Typically, traffic beyond that is only
generated on commercial sites. And this policy ensures that we share our
bandwidth evenly among all our members. Overtaxing resources could
compromise other members' access to the Internet.

Okaaaay.  I'm sure this comes as no surprise to some of you, but I thought
this message was really weird and kinda scary.  "He's becoming too popular,
he must be silenced."

I was wondering if anyone knows of any websites that offer info on how to
purchase a domain name?

Dave

--
Tom Stangl