 General / 38605
Re: Semi-OT: Need info on domain name purchasing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:22:53 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Simmons writes:
Hey all,

Since the update to my website and my posts to .castle and .space, I got an
e-mail from my ISP, Earthlink, telling me that I've used 75% of my alloted
bandwith.  If I exceed it they'll shut my site down for the rest of the
month: • <snip>
I was wondering if anyone knows of any websites that offer info on how to
purchase a domain name?

You probably already know, but registering a domain name and getting more
bandwidth are two different things.  You can get more bandwidth, more
webspace, or more hosting services without necessarily having your own
domain name, but I think you will want to at least have some hosting
services to use a domain name, so they do kinda go together.

If you do a search online for web hosting, you will find a wide range of
ISPs who provide space beyond the freebie amount, some are more popular than
others, and naturally some are more expensive (given that they service
larger companies).  You can also do a search for domain registration,
although I am not as aware of any great variation in cost for that.

As examples, here's the people I work through:

For my domain registration, for $35 per year, I use Network Solutions...
http://www.networksolutions.com/

For my web hosting & ISP, I use XO Communications (formerly Concentric
Network).  They have a range of plans & prices, depending on what your needs
are, and I like their web interface for site management.  Their basic plan
is as low as $20 per month, but I currently have a plan for $35 per month
that includes 5000 MB bandwidth per month...
http://www.xo.com/xofferings/web/

Oh, and they used to have a referral service at XO.  So feel free to give my
name if you ever choose to sign on... <grin>

The upside of something like this is you can get whatever amount of space,
bandwidth, e-mails you need, and with your own domain you can setup a URL
that is unique and cool.  Having your own site also means no banners or
pop-ups (unless you want them), so it beats Geocities.  The downside is it
all costs money...  And around here, every dollar spent on internet services
is a dollar not spent on Lego...   :(

Hope that info helps,
-Hendo