 General / 37749
  How bad do your hands hurt?

I gotta ask, who else deals with the hand and finger stress from long building projects. I know it's a common ailment that we all deal with. I mean who hasn't cut, scratched or abraised themselves while building Lego. Man, I was building all day (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

(...) Since I work on a computer keyboard during the day, and often have Lego building sessions that last eight or ten hours, I can totally identify with you. My best suggestion: Ice down your hands after long building sessions. I just put some ice (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

(...) Strong hands to pry apart plates? I use my fingernails or attach another brick then snap both parts off. I used to find I always had the urge to build just after cutting my nails short. :-) The worst Lego hand mangler is removing model team (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

(...) (URL) might have seen these floating around before. If I have a lot of beams to separate or pins to remove I use tools. I haven't found a decent way to remove gears yet other than pulling the axle with the offending gear through a plate (or (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

(...) I typically end up with shoulder pain, but that's a symptom of the way I reach for the bins that surround my current workspace (bad, bad layout). The trick to working with technic for me it to not do everything with your fingers. Use brick (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

First of all, Legomaster, let me just say that with your amazing creations such as the GG Mech...I don't see how anybody creating those can AVOID hand pains ;) I'm a pianist (not professional) so I try to take care of my fingers too...but what (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

I rarely get hand and finger stress when I'm building. Even though I'm at a computer all day at work and I play the piano regularly, I don't feel any pain from repetitive overusage. I think I'd be in hell if I could NOT use my hands. However, my (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

(...) Ya, I work with Computers too, and I also work with the cabling and electronics, it always seems like I work and play hard compounding the issue. (...) Good point, even thought it may seem un-macho, your hands do need it! (...) Here! here! (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

(...) I was just making a play on the letter "P" (...) Oh man! I know the kind! Hey, have I seen this creation, got any pix, sounds wild! (...) Hey nifty! Check that out! (...) e (22 years ago, 30-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

(...) Hey cool, check that out, hmmm, ooooh gotta surf your site! e (22 years ago, 30-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

(...) oh? (...) true dat. (...) ahhh that's funny! I get it. (...) thanks, e (22 years ago, 30-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

(...) Oh, hey, that's nice of you to say. I certainly pushed the limits when I was builing the Gomgile. My pulpy stumps grew back. It's a right of passage. (...) Yes, the wrists! Hey you play Piano! I took lessons when I was younger! Good advice (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

Henry, I bet you have tired your fingers out builing some of those great creations you have! (...) Blood from Lego! I'm really looking forward to seeing and hearing this masterpiece! (...) e (22 years ago, 30-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

(...) Currently, my design space is 3 tables arrayed in a U shape. I build in the center of the U, facing to the right. Most of my pieces are on shelves on the table behind me, so when I go to reach for pieces, I tend to lift and twist my shoulders (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

(...) Oh I'm so with you on the old black pegs--they were absolute killers to get out of beams 'n such! Never having thrown away *any* piece of LEGO, I have all those old black pegs in a container somewhere, along with other 'old' technic pieces (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

(...) Oh great! That new Lego Space is gonna Rock! Hopefully I can come see it one day! I renovated my entire house and I still have one room left to do. I feel ya man! The victory is almost at hand. I enjoyed reading the story and seeing the (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

(...) I'm totally ruthless with friction pins - if they're just a little tight they go in the bin. I also often grab all the seller's pins when I do a bricklink order, to re-fill my bin (most sellers don't have heaps of pins) 8?) (...) Well, I guess (...) (22 years ago, 30-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

I know some Mecha Builders that'll take them there old style friction pegs off yer hands! "....New Friction Pegs for Old, New Friction Pegs for Old".... [Popeye] Legomaster (22 years ago, 30-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

I cut a promotional jar opener (like those found here: (URL) ) into about 6 ovals (one for each technic parts box). I pinch one between my thumb and index finger and give those gears and pins a good yank. (...) [snip] (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)

  Re: How bad do your hands hurt?

(...) Oh, wow, check that out! clever! Legomaster (22 years ago, 31-Jul-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic)