 General / 37769
Re: How bad do your hands hurt?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 09:23:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Luke Ma writes:
First of all, Legomaster, let me just say that with your amazing creations
such as the GG Mech...I don't see how anybody creating those can AVOID hand
pains ;)

Oh, hey, that's nice of you to say. I certainly pushed the limits when I was
builing the Gomgile. My pulpy stumps grew back. It's a right of passage.

I'm a pianist (not professional) so I try to take care of my fingers
too...but what really gets me is my wrists (since I also do a bit of CS
work).  I find that while your fingers can take a beating and heal from cuts
and bruises, putting pressure on your wrists repeatedly is much harder to
relieve.  My advice is somewhat trite but take a break! :)  Even for a
minute per hour, let your hand loose, rotate your wrists around...flop your
hand up and down.  This won't relieve much finger abrasion but will help
prevent carpal tunnel like pain.

Yes, the wrists! Hey you play Piano! I took lessons when I was younger!
Good advice about stopping and resting. I try to do the same with my eyes.
I learned that if you look at close objects for long periods of time, it
helps to stare at a far off corner of the room so your eyes can "stretch"
and relax.

Also, I always keep a spare axle around for poking out pins and other axles.
You probably do that already though.  Brick separators are nice but I think
in the end, nothing beats the ol' hands...they're fast, accurate, and that's
why we'll abuse them time after time ;)

Good luck with your hands and keep up the awesome work! (I know that's some
what paradoxical).

Luke

Thanks Luke!