 General / 36891
Re: "Lego" from China Sets?????
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 02:31:17 GMT

I think there was something a while back about some "knock-off" lego
sets from china.
Its a good bet that the pieces in this set arent as good quality wise as
the real thing.

On the other hand, I recall reading more than a few articles about factories
in China that were running licensed product for a Western Manufacturer
during the day shift and unauthorized "knock-offs" during the night shift -
one of the problems in subcontracting out work.  If that were the case,
quality might not be so different.  I would think that Lego would maintain a
tighter level of control - making this impossible but who knows?  If you are
dealing with a subcontractor running product from your molds, what keeps
them from running "extras" and marketing them on their own.

On the other hand - citing plastic models (another hobby of mine) - it is
quite obvious that companies in China and Korea have "duplicated" existing
kits from other makers.  Using automated die cutters, they copy existing
sprues from kits - with some reduction in detail and quality - producing a
cheap "clone" of someone else's product.  You can compare these kits with
the originals and it is obvious what happened.