 Marketplace / Services / 477
Re: Does TLC act when we point out infringements of their trademark here?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 07:08:39 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Frank Filz writes:

Actually, if TLC wanted to be serious, they probably should force eBay
to change the category name to something other than LEGO, or force eBay
to police it for non-LEGO. The way the category is being used, one could
make a good argument that it is promoting "lego" as a generic term
referring to construction toys.

True, but on the flipside Ebay does use many copyrighted names as category
names. And Lego knows that Lego sales on Ebay promotes their product, and
that equals free advertising - no company would let that go. Also people who
choose the Lego section do so on purpose, when you go to sell something
'LEGOish' you come up on these choices under building toys:

Blocks
Erector Sets
K'NEX
LEGO
Lincoln Logs
Tinker Toys
Other building tous

So if somebody puts non-Lego in the Lego section this is not Ebay's fault,
it is the willing act of the seller. I agree the vast majority of the public
is not as "Lego is Lego and how dare you call anything else Lego!" as we
here on Lugnet are. So I would think, and hope that most of the cases are
just people thinking "Lego" when they see a block with studs on it.

I wonder how serious eBay actually takes their keyword spamming policy?
Has anyone actually complained and gotten any results? From other "truth
in advertising" crusades,

From what I can tell its pretty good on it, but they do not go out and
search for it. If you complain that somebody is keyword spamming then they
will take care of it IF they are indeed keyword spamming. But putting 'Lego'
on a megablock lot is not keyword spamming by any stretch of the
imagination. Keyword spamming is what those "I am leaving Ebay" CD sellers
do for example, and thats a looong stretch from any 'Lego like' listing I
have ever seen, and I sarch daily.

For more information on what Ebay does read alt.marketing.online.ebay -
there is some very interestering reading to be had there. And it will easily
answer your questions about what Ebay does and does not do.

it seems that eBay takes the side of sellers.

Well they are the ones paying the bills ;) And unless its pretty clear-cut
then you are fighting an uphill battle.

Mark
http://www.landofbricks.com