 General / 36872
Re: "Lego" from China Sets?????
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2002 13:27:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Heins writes:
Anyone else know anything about the sets listed on eBay - allegedly by Lego
for sale only in China?  See the link below for one of many.

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1732671764

I have to wonder what these sets go for in China.  I suspect the price
points are a bit cheaper when converted to $us or any other currency.  I
wonder if someone has connections to arrange a "gray market" bulk
purchase/resale.  I suspect a profitable enterprise for someone with the
right connections.

Hmmm...
A don't think its a (direct) photo edit on the part of the E-Bay person.  I
dunno about the company... the cowboy looks too fudged when zoomed in...
but not the cannon.  The whole turntable complex, however, along with the
baseplate, looks altered.
Look at these posts:
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=32796
http://news.lugnet.com/loc/hk/?n=5
using the  brickshelf link of one of the above posts, you can clearly see
this same 'set'in the bottom right-hand corner.  Zooming in, there is a
smuge of grey and red that represent the cannon and the pirate.

Look here:
other differences include:
a different angle for the catapult base
a differently shaped shield
the skeleton has a blue cap thingie
no pump
the catapult/cannon complex is moved to the right
lighter green color
mutalated skeleton

It seems that the 'company' did a cheap remake on the Lego picture:

the 'shield' has larger blur marks than the original

most of the baseplate has been made with barely any detectable studs, to
help in the removale of the pump, the rebuilt, cropped cannon complex, and
the shield.

Don't tell me there isn't a black smuge on the rung of the prison ladder
were the skeleton's arm used to be...  also the area to the left, were the
other arm used to be is just pich (paint) black, which is unnatural.

The logos at the top could be done by deleting the lego one's, BUT the added
floating "R" sign has alot of smudging around it.

The 'added features' (shield, cannon/turntable complex and cowboy) are
smaller then normal.  Obviesly some cheap cropping.

I think its just a cheap clone with a box that's a redone lego picture.
The seller guy apparently either dosn't know about the clone property or
trying to fool us.  (Its so annoying when you do a search on Lego something
on ebay and you find LEGO-compatable Mega Block or simply Lego Megablock.
It seems that these people are just ignorent of clone brands)

I rest my case.

John Kruer