 Marketplace / Services / 472
Re: "Lego" from China Sets?????
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 13:36:51 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.market.services, Thomas Garrison writes:

This is not, however, how Ebay defines key word spamming.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-wordspam.html

In particular,

Extra Brand Names in Title. Any use of a trademarked
(brand) name in the title of a listing where products
of that brand name are not being offered.

That's news to me, I'm afraid, and I think in practice it's nothing more
than Ebay's effort to divorce itself from liability re: trademark
representation.  Could Ebay even enforce this policy if they wanted to?
Hypothetically--if you came into possession of a MegaBloks collection and
decided to sell it to someone who had never heard of MegaBloks but *had*
heard of LEGO, do you think you wouldn't use "LEGO" somewhere in the
description?  Not even to say "well, they're sort of like LEGO but not as
good" or whatever?  Even the term "clone brand" would come close to
violating thet requirement, since it implies that the item is a clone of
something, but it's not *really* that something.  Obviously Ebay is free to
set whatever TOS limits it desires, but it's unreasonable to think that
people won't aim for evocative descriptions in identifying their auctions,
and the shortest descriptive distance between two points is to liken one
object to another.

This policy is actually one of the nice things about Ebay (or would
be, if they enforced it): it is in Ebay's interest to ensure that searches
return all relevent results, but only relevent results.

If the average consumer stumbles upon an unfamiliar clone brand, (eg Byggis)
at a flea market and decides to auction it, how should that person describe
it, if the actual brand isn't known, but they bricks are "like LEGO," how
should the seller describe it?  I expect that this happens quite often;
would you be able to identify Qubo or Byggis or Tandem or Block-Men or Coko
or Blok-Tek or Laramie or TYCO or Best-Lock or Ultra-Blox or American Bricks
or LOC BLOC?  If not, how would you describe them?  Actually, since I'm a
clone fan, I use this uncertainty to aid my searches by using the phrases
"lego like," "like lego," "not lego," "works with lego," and "lego compatible."

That way, users can find what they're looking for---which includes not giving
up because the target is buried in a haystack of irrelevent hits.  This both
sends more users to auctions in which they are interested (hopefully boosting
the final price) and ensures more satisfied users (or at least users who are
willing to continue to look

Of much greater annoyance to me are preposterously misleading descriptions,
such as "HUGE LOT OF BLUE LEGO" that includes nothing but a dozen 2x4
bricks, or a "UNIQUE, HARD TO FIND LEGO DROID FIGHTER" that is hardly unique
and is very close to ubiquitous!  I mean, come on!

    Dave!

FUT OT.Minor-Ranting
Yes, yes, yes, but what about this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1733342755
the title is
70's Sears Brix Blox 900 Piece Set Lego Legos
lego is not mentioned in the description.  This is annyoing, and is keyword
spamming.  Were do we complain about this?

John Kruer