 General / 36889
Re: Stealing Brickshelf MOC's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 18:25:28 GMT

spitz wrote:

If the person was really making a website for commentary on MOCs then he
really doesn't need permission to use the pictures.  However, it is
considered polite to ask.  Posting them up on Brickshelf is another matter.
Hard to say it was a "fair use" issue there.  It can be tough to get out of
the mindset that Brickshelf is just disk space, when it is really a public
forum.  Its just that Brickshelf works so well as disk storage for Lego images!

Anyway, I always feel I have to defend cases of legitimate fair use when I
see them.  Seems that more and more copyright holders feel they have
ultimate and unalienable rights to the content they create.

A commentary site is certainly a legitimate thing, HOWEVER, copying an
entire BrickShelf folder for use on a such a site is stretching fair
use. Fair use MIGHT justify copying one picture to illustrate the
article, with a link to the BrickShelf folder for more. Using the
thumbnails might be ok (I feel I stretched things when I used folks
thumbnails in creating this page:
http://www.mindspring.com/%7Effilz/Lego/pirate-brickfest2000.html though
I did at least try to ask people before using their pictures). I did
make sure to credit the photographers, and each thumbnail is a link to
the BrickShelf page for that picture (I actually extracted the links
from the thumbnail page for the folder the pictures were in, hmm, I see
I need to talk to the Bogers and find out where their pictures are
now... they keep moving).

FUT: lugnet.publish

Frank