 General / 36804
Re: Stealing Brickshelf MOC's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 15:24:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, Brad Mittelstedt writes:

Also in order to prevent this from having it's always a good idea to put
your name/callname/alias/logo, date, and copyright on your images before
uploading to ANY internet site or even your own personnel website.  It's
very simple to add text to an image and it helps this situtation.  You
wouldn't display your work of art in public WITHOUT SIGNING IT!  The
internet SHOULD NOT be any different. Take pride in your work and sign it.
-AHui

Interesting topic to have come up tonight.  I have thought about this also.

I agree.  Some form of watermark should be placed onto each image.  There is no
doubt that anyone with a 286 and a paint program and manipulate a persons work.
But make them actually have to work hard to steal a persons
model/work/art/etc/etc/etc.

Back to why I thought this was an interesting topic, is that I started playing
around tonight (even before reading this) on how to put a very clean logo on a
tile.  And maybe not just logos, but custom graphics, etc via the use of some
form of label.

Hum.. this is very very interesting.  It's not exaclty what I was talking
about but it will do as well.  I was focusing more on the actualy image file
itself.  You can edit the image file (in a any paint/photo software) to
place your copyright onto the image.  I usualy put A&M Productions (our call
name) on one of the bricks itself.  Then I place the copyright & <year>
somewhere else on the image.  I try to place that on the model itself as
well so as to make it harder for someone to download the image and
remanipulate it to erase the text.  Mind you it can be done but it takes
lots of time and a steady graphics editing hand.  I In photoshop you can
also give the image file attributes.  These are hidden text file information
that will open appear if someone does a right-clcik on the image to see it's
properties.  Under the summary tab that appears on the pop-up window such
information as author, date, copyright by, location, general comments, and
keywords can be seen.  While these can still be edited via someone opening
your image in photoshop UNLESS someone is activly looking for them and
changing them.  This person, off course, is someone who is STEALING your
images to beging with.

BTW, I didn't think of the 'physcial' logo becuase I do most of my MOCs in
LDraw.  My wife is the one who 'physically' plays with LEGOS while I tend to
design 90% of my MOCs in LDRAW in the hopes that one day I'll be able to
build it when our LEGO collection grows. =)

<snip>

-AHui
www.ozbricks.com/jediagh/