 General / 32802
  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) I don't see how is that even possible today, unless you live without electricity. (...) Huh? This is not 1970. (...) Please explain. (...) In fact the new one sometimes have very poor connections. That's why the guns on the X-Wing are so (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

I can understand how Ka-On feels here, well both sides of the story actually. Not EVERYTHING that is made in China is crap. After all there are many items not necessarily made in China but just assembled there due to lower costs. I have brought many (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) As mentioned in my original post I'm not some foaming-at-the-mouth "activist" whose every waking moment is spent in avoiding Chinese produced items. Rather as a habit I generally check most products I'm considering buying to see where they (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) More or less yes. Your fine product may be assembled in some other country, but it's componets can come from anywhere - from tiny resistors to motors. There is no 'pure' first world electronic products. Also where is your humanitarian concern (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

I hear what you are saying - you make some very good points. But lets put China aside for a moment. Do you think we should trade with the very worst of governments in the hope that the revenues empower workers in some small way? Or do you think (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message news:GJ8yo0.77@lugnet.com... (...) Personally, I do think there is place for individuals not to buy the product of a given company - or specifically favour those from a certain origin. A few years (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  RE: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) Ironically, your favorite toy is sold by all three of those chains, alongside its inferior Canadian competitor... You probably get your storage containers there too (I do). (...) Rampant consumerism...you mean like the average AFOL buying any (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) What a loaded topic I got into. Like you mentioned trade sanctions worked in South Africa, but it haven't worked for Iraq and Cuba. It is doubtful that trade sanctions would bring major positive changes in China. The communist still have tight (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) Please keep in mind what I keep stating - I do not consider myself an "activist" nor am I anyone with any strong political convictions (or understanding - I'm an American after all). So, I do not operate on some Jainistic principle whereby I (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

(...) This is questionable. Citing trade sanctions as effective allowed the apartheid regime to save face--it was OK for the conservatives to admit defeat at the hands of the rest of the industrialized First World, but to admit that violence and (...) (23 years ago, 6-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China

When I mentioned South Africa, I was talking more about how individuals could keep the struggle in the public consciousness by avoid the products of companies who did invest in South Africa. As far as trade sanction are concerned, I think at the (...) (23 years ago, 7-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)