 General / 32802
Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 03:41:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, Greg Perry writes:
However,
avoiding items that are "MADE IN CHINA" is the one "protest" act that I
actively pursue.

I don't see how is that even possible today, unless you live without
electricity.

While I certainly
see the problems inherent in a society that forces it's population to work
under virtual "slave labor" conditions,

Huh?  This is not 1970.

for me the botton line is that
products made in China are inevitably cheap, inferior crap.

Please explain.

(at this point I could launch into another old favorite
and start lamenting about the fact that newer bricks don't seem to connect
together as well as old ones do, etc.)

In fact the new one sometimes have very poor connections.  That's why the guns
on the X-Wing are so loose.  Those pieces are still made in your favourite
first world country.

- Does anyone know how prevalent LEGO's use of China based manufacturing is
at the moment?  Anyone familiar with other TLC products made there? (I'm
guessing at least some of the LEGOLand souvenir stuff is made there).  For
all I know LEGO may have been making things in China for years.

So far I only know the soccer ball in 3411.

- Am I just being jingo-istic (and euro-centric) in thinking that if LEGO
products across the board begin to be made in China that there will be an
overall reduction in quality?

Yes.