 General / 32809
Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 11:56:23 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ka-On Lee writes:
In lugnet.general, Greg Perry writes:
However,
avoiding items that are "MADE IN CHINA" is the one "protest" act that I
actively pursue.

I don't see how is that even possible today, unless you live without
electricity.

As mentioned in my original post I'm not some foaming-at-the-mouth
"activist" whose every waking moment is spent in avoiding Chinese produced
items.  Rather as a habit I generally check most products I'm considering
buying to see where they were made.  Of course, it's unavoidable to live
without using items made in China or outside of the U.S.  On the other hand,
it is often possible to make a choice between two products made in the
different places and with all other things being even I make no apologies
for choosing items made in my own country over those made elsewhere. In
fact, to be honest I actually purchased a radio the other day that was made
in China because there was no other choice available.  However, I took it
back the next day - not because of where it was made - but because when I
took it back to my office to try it out I couldn't pick up a single station
clearly.  Piece or crap - or just bad reception inside a building?

By the way - does my electricity here in Virginia come from China? Or are
you just saying that without China I wouldn't have any means of having my
electricity delivered or any fine electronic products to run on that
electricity?

While I certainly
see the problems inherent in a society that forces it's population to work
under virtual "slave labor" conditions,

Huh?  This is not 1970.

My mistake, sorry for being so backwards.  I forgot that China now allows
its citizens to enjoy the freedom of choice in all matters such as choice of
career, how many children to produce and what religion to practice.

for me the botton line is that
products made in China are inevitably cheap, inferior crap.

Please explain.

As Melody points out in her response, not EVERYTHING made in China is
obviously inferior.  However, here in the United States if you walk into any
discount or "Everything's a Buck" store there are unimaginable piles of
stuff that are best described by my original word - crap. The same applies
to the higher grade marts - K-, Wal- and Target.  Virtually everything in
those stores are Made in China and is often just junk.  I often wonder what
the folks producing this stuff must think of the people it's intended for.
Of course, that leads me into thinking about the rampant consumerism of my
own society, but that's a bummer for another week...

(snip)

- Am I just being jingo-istic (and euro-centric) in thinking that if LEGO
products across the board begin to be made in China that there will be an
overall reduction in quality?

Yes.

Well, in that case - let's lobby LEGO to move all their manufacturing to
China since doing so will have no affect on the quality of their products
and I'm sure all the money they save by not having to pay the high salaries
of pampered and spoiled Europeans and Americans will translate into BIG
savings for the consumers.

Globalization - YES!  Nationalism - NO!