 General / 32805
Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 09:39:29 GMT

I can understand how Ka-On feels here, well both sides of the story
actually.  Not EVERYTHING that is made in China is crap.  After all there
are many items not necessarily made in China but just assembled there due to
lower costs.  I have brought many well made and assembled items from
Japan/China with no problems at all.

In lugnet.general, Ka-On Lee writes:
In lugnet.general, Greg Perry writes:
However,
avoiding items that are "MADE IN CHINA" is the one "protest" act that I
actively pursue.

I don't see how is that even possible today, unless you live without
electricity.

Many of those crappy products you wouldn't buy anyway.  But you will be
suprised of how many things are made/assembled/printed in China and might
not even realise it.

While I certainly
see the problems inherent in a society that forces it's population to work
under virtual "slave labor" conditions,

Huh?  This is not 1970.

for me the botton line is that
products made in China are inevitably cheap, inferior crap.

Please explain.

I have to say that there are quite a few "up market" Department stores here
that stock quite a large range of "made in China" items, even clothes, but
as I said, not all is bad!

(at this point I could launch into another old favorite
and start lamenting about the fact that newer bricks don't seem to connect
together as well as old ones do, etc.)

In fact the new one sometimes have very poor connections.  That's why the guns
on the X-Wing are so loose.  Those pieces are still made in your favourite
first world country.

I too have noticed that... I have several pieces where I have to turn them
around so they will fit or grab another piece that will.

- Does anyone know how prevalent LEGO's use of China based manufacturing is
at the moment?  Anyone familiar with other TLC products made there? (I'm
guessing at least some of the LEGOLand souvenir stuff is made there).  For
all I know LEGO may have been making things in China for years.

So far I only know the soccer ball in 3411.

- Am I just being jingo-istic (and euro-centric) in thinking that if LEGO
products across the board begin to be made in China that there will be an
overall reduction in quality?

Yes.

Anyway, I personally agree with some things on both sides, but there are
better things to worry about, I am sure Lego wouldn't degrade themselves in
any country regarding the quality that has keep them at the top.  If so,
then they will have much more to complain about with greater loss in the future.

I'd hate to know what people would think if they were made here in Australia
:P j/k

The main thing here is, I am sure the equipment would be the same, the
plastic substance/powder? they would use would be the same quality, just
made/assembled in a different country.  Not necessarily made by the
country's own 'Lower quality' standards.  Who knows, if it ends up being
made in China, maybe they might lower the prices?

As long as the quality doesn't go down, it won't matter!  As long as they
don't go Mega-Blok like, we'll be cool! :)

Sorry MB... I am personally not a fan.

Mel