 General / 32548
Re: Lego in Fastcompany magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 05:48:02 GMT

Lawrence & All,

Very interesting article....
All I hope is that LEGO can return to profitability.

Indeed.

Because a world without LEGO is not a world I want to live in.

Yes. But returing to profitability might turn it into a different Lego • company.
There seemed to be an underlying message that Lego needed to change as
much now as > it did from when it moved from wooden toys to plastic bricks.

I think LEGO will need to change, I think some of the reasons of their
losses have come from the result of either changing what we AFOL's think of
products, and the lackluster products they have been dredging up (I.E.
Racers, etc.) If they can devote some of the resources to the traditional
things, such as trains, town, etc. and some to new ideas, they should be
able to level out their budget, hopefully.

This article reminds me of the discussion I had with Steve Bliss's son, (I
forgot his name again, my apologies) when we were at his house after MLTC's
display at GATS. I was talking about Bionicle and how I do not like it, but
he really defended it, and got into a profit / loss argument about TLC. Go
figure Scott gets into a discussion with an 11 year old in regards to a
companies profitability. Thanks goes to Chris leach for resuing me! : )

We, as AFOL's, might have to stomach most of the LEGO product line in order
for them to still be profitable, one hopes with the apparant success of the
LEGENDS line and LEGO Direct that we will still be able to do what we want.
I would hate to see them fold.

In doing so, it might leave the world of many AFOLs behind.
e.g more juniroization, parts (and even whole sets) that have little use • outside their
original 'theme' (licenced too), etc, etc.

Right on the same wavelength there.

Lego Direct are trying hard to safisfy us brick builders (as opposed to
set collectors), but > who knows if they will be successful as Lego seeks
new paths. And where is the next
generation of AFOL who value bulk bricks etc? Not any of the
kids in my neighbourhood.

Indeed.

When i walk through the Shop aisles these days (on my way to the LEGO • aisle)
I see some of the toys kids have to play with. And nothing has the open
ended play value of LEGO.

I though one of the points of the article was that the open ended play • value of Lego was > increasingly diminished - kids
want to build the set exactly has it is in the instructions.

Well, I always built the set exactly like the instructions, even when I was
4. The difference today is most of the sets I buy end up being parts, and
that is not as important. I remember I gave the TIE Fighter to my niece, who
got frustarted with it and didn't finish it. I think it has to do more with
the perception that kids are impatient, have too much stuff to do or comete
with, like video games, etc. that LEGO is not very fun anymore. The LEGO
video games are horrid, for the most part.

It is an interesting article, very thought provoking.

Scott S.
--
MichLUG Member, www.michlug.org
Personal Page: www.geocities.com/~legoguy712