 General / 32532
Re: Lego in Fastcompany magazine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 16:58:08 GMT

Lawrence Wilkes wrote in message ...
Lego Direct are trying hard to safisfy us brick builders (as opposed to set • collectors), but who knows if they will be
successful as Lego seeks new paths. And where is the next generation of • AFOL who value bulk bricks etc? Not any of the
kids in my neighbourhood.

The kids I worked with at my daughter's school in the last few years were
classic Lego maniacs - build the model from the box, then take it apart and
rebuild their own stuff; spend hours at a time building; always want more
pieces - definitely some AFOL's in the making there. One is at 17 still very
active in our local Lego club (the others are too young for the club).

I though one of the points of the article was that the open ended play • value of Lego was increasingly diminished - kids
want to build the set exactly has it is in the instructions.

It's not always the kids. I know of parents who glue the set together
because they are tired of the bits falling off the model. And I've overheard
parents in the toy aisles discussing how the won't buy the kid any more Lego
because he doesn't keep the set model together, he keeps taking it apart and
using the bricks for other things. They just don't get it...

Kevin
Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com
Brickbay Lego parts store: http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1
eBay Lego auctions: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/kevinw1/