 General / 29493
Re: Oh no, what have I done!?!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:20:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, Adrian Drake writes:
In lugnet.general, Kevin Wilson writes:
David Simmons wrote in message ...
What I find interesting (and very telling in a certain way) is that
NO ONE that I've ever met, child or parent has referred to them as "Lego
bricks." They (and I for the purposes of not wanting to come off as some kind
of weird snob) have always call them "Legos."  Only until I joined this
group did I hear the argument that "You should always refer to them as Lego
bricks."

Depends where you're from. I grew up in the UK and had never heard
them called "Legos" till I came to North America. We called it "Lego"
(eg..."Let's go and play with the Lego"). TLC is fighting a losing
battle to get people to call them "Lego bricks".

They are indeed.  In the 3.5 hours I spent in TRU this weekend doing one of
my Lego sculptures, nobody called them Lego bricks,and EVERYBODY called them
"legos".  They will never get that out of the American mindset.

Adrian

Well,when I think of Lego I think of a single brick - I know "lego" is the
name of the bricks, but it still pops in my head as a singular brick. I
think of legos as the pile I have on my floor, more than one brick. When we
are being taught the difference between singular and multiple versions of
words it is the same time most of us discovered Lego. As kids we are taught,
for example cat = one cat and cats = more than one cat, so we translate lego
= one brick (or plate or whatever, lol) and legos = more than one. So we say
I am playing with my legos. Just think if a kid was playing with only one
Lego brick - kinda sad huh? lol. If this point has been hit on before, sorry :)~
Mark P
mfuss903@aol.com