 General / 29481
Re: Oh no, what have I done!?!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:21:47 GMT

Dave Low <stinglessbee@hotSPAMFREEmail.com> wrote in message
news:GBIAsE.2n0@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.general, David Simmons writes:
IMHO, this discussion has always resembled the silly bickering among Star
Trek fans about being called "Trekkers" as opposed to "Trekkies." • People,
it's a hobby.  Let's try not to take it too seriously.  It takes the fun • out
of it, and that's what we're here for, right?

I'm not convinced it's a silly conversation. Lego vs Legos is interesting • to
me because it combines my hobby, linguistics and intellectual property in
one neat bundle. The discussion isn't as important as appreciating Lego
itself, but that doesn't make the discussion unimportant. I have to take
some of the blame for the Godzillan thread, since as a linguistic argument • I
foolishly compared LEGO/legos with God/gods, giving rise to a religious
brawl, with bonus trolling. Now _that_ took the fun out of it.

Warning: Santa-bashing follows...

I actually did go around calling them "Lego bricks" or "Lego toys" when I
read that, at least until I realized that Susan Williams isn't real (I took
learning about Santa better than I did Susan Williams).  Of course, I was
about seven at the time.  And as much as I'd love to jump into a flame-war
over in debate, I no longer have the time.  Don't you people have jobs?

Jesse