 General / 29504
Re: Oh no, what have I done!?!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 06:58:06 GMT

<snip>
Well,when I think of Lego I think of a single brick - I know "lego" is the
name of the bricks, but it still pops in my head as a singular brick. I
think of legos as the pile I have on my floor, more than one brick. When we
are being taught the difference between singular and multiple versions of
words it is the same time most of us discovered Lego. As kids we are taught,
for example cat = one cat and cats = more than one cat, so we translate lego
= one brick (or plate or whatever, lol) and legos = more than one. So we say
I am playing with my legos. Just think if a kid was playing with only one
Lego brick - kinda sad huh? lol. If this point has been hit on before, sorry :)~

When you learn 1 cookie--2 cookies you also learn 1 glass of milk--2 glasses
of milk. Cookies come in packets or recipes labelled "Cookies", milk comes
in a bottle or carton labelled "Milk", Lego comes in a box labelled "LEGO".
So you eat cookies, you drink milk and you play with Lego. Does this make sense?

Yes, perfect sense ~ And I agree. But i think the since the term 'cookies'
is not a brand name like Lego is people think of cookies and legos along the
same lines for rules of speech (add the 'S') so (in theory) the bag of
cookies are the same thing as a box of Legos, you open the box/bag and
inside you find many of the same item, this is where you get "cookies" and
"legos" I agree you ^should^ say "look at all the cookies in this bag" and
"look at all the lego (no 'S') in this box, but in reality I have never said
this, and I have never heard anybody ever say Lego when referring to more
than one brick (outside of lugnet).  I think most American kids are taught
that when you have more than one of something, you add a 'S' to the end,
with a few exceptions (foot and feet for one). I have no idea what is taught
outside of the USA, but I have 2 kids and the one who is old enough to talk
does this very thing - adds a 'S' to the end of words.

keep in mind I do agree that it ~should~ be lego no matter how many you are
refering to, but have not and do not really plan to try to change, I have
bigger things to worry about, lol.

I wonder where this US phenomenon of "legos" first came from -- the
Samsonite connection? Or maybe it's a more general cultural thing.

I think its a cultural thing, I do not see how it would not be - how does
the saying go??  Oh ya - "Stupid Americans" lol!

--DaveL

A side note, when I first started to look for Lego on EBAY I typed in
"Legos" for the search, and only came up with about 250 hits, it took a few
days to look for "Lego" ~ man what a difference, lol, oops!
Mark P.
mfuss903@aol.com