 General / 29415
RE: April Fools posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 18:02:28 GMT

Frank Filz writes:
I don't think I heard anyone laughing at Ben's prank (and
even less so at Mark's prank this year).

I think you're not seeing both sides...because I think that most of the
replies to a prank post are from people who either fell for the prank or got
angry about it.  The people who understood the joke won't usually reply
because they don't want to spoil it for every one else.  I though Ben's
prank was very well done and quite funny.  Maybe it's because I pay close
attention to details, or because I jumped in late, but I never really
thought it was real.  Finding the little intentional (or unintentional)
errors in the catalog which exposed it as a fake was a lot of fun, IMO. And
Mark's post was hilarious...he's one of the most prolific space-heads!  And
he also left a very nice clue in his post.  So maybe he didn't quite abide
by the rules, but it was still funny.

I'm all for humor, but I have to say very few of the pranks have I
laughed at.

It's not so much ha-ha funny, but I think finding the clue that exposes the
fake is half the fun.

I did laugh a little at Todd's, but honestly, even that mostly fell
flat on me.

I though Todd's post was hilarious...except for the silly disclaimer at the
end...that ruined it for me. :P  I think all this talk about April Fools
posts is making it awfully difficult to come up with a good prank that won't
be instantly exposed.  I was looking forward to a good hoax this year, but
all the warnings ruined any chance of a hoax succeeding.  Better luck next
year?
  LEGO is a hobby...it's meant to be fun and taken lightly, IMO.  There's no
reason to take it so seriously that you get upset about it.
Just my .02,
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu