 General / 29413
Re: April Fools posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 16:42:14 GMT

But to me, April 1st
without the pranks is
like Thanksgiving without the football. :-)

The trouble for me is that the pranks aren't limited to
the 1st. Ben's
prank last year wasn't a one day deal. The result for me,
is as Scott
said, for some period of time near the 1st (personally
for me, I'm
beginning to feel like I should be skeptical all of
March), I'm
unwilling to put much stock in anything. Note even that
my post about
the Creator sets was questioned (and rightfully so).
Should I have even
bothered posting it. How many people aren't responding to
it because
they are in skeptic mode right now?

Indeed. I think they are harmful to everyone, especially the
"jokes" that seem to be coming earlier and earlier, just for
the shock value, or how many people can they fool. It is
upsetting. We don't even ave people admitting the jokes
anymore, and we sit here and wonder.

When I was a kid, April Fools was something which
happened April 1, and
a few minutes after my dad or whoever pulled on over on
us, someone
would realize what was wrong and crack up, or the person
pulling the
prank would lose their composure, and we would all have a
laugh and life
would move on.

Yes, or at work, when the project was due in June, and the
boss came and said it was due at the end of the day or week.
That's funny, when he admitted it was a joke.

I don't think I heard anyone laughing at
Ben's prank (and
even less so at Mark's prank this year). Is a joke funny
if no one
laughs? Is a joke funny if a few people laugh and a bunch
more people
get pissed?

Not really, IMO.

I'm all for humor, but I have to say very few of the
pranks have I
laughed at. I did laugh a little at Todd's, but honestly,
even that
mostly fell flat on me. Perhaps my sense of humor is just
really
impaired by the rest of my life (and this week especially
there is some
seriously bad dope going down which I can't talk about
here, and which I
desperately wish was an April fools joke, but I'm 99.99%
certain it
isn't), I don't know. All I can say is that this year I
am far less
enthused about Lugnet than I was last year. As a
community, we will
decide what Lugnet is. If people like me are a minority,
or at least
don't have the loudest voice, the community may lose some
of us. It will
be up to the community as a whole to decide what the
atmosphere is here,
and it is up to each individual to decide if that
atmosphere is what
they want.

Well, Frank, I hope whatever it is, it goes well. I am on
the other end, I might be in a position I have wanted for
the last 4 years, one job, and time to build again. But I
think this joke issue is one that needs some looking at,
especially after this session.

Scott S.