 General / 29417
Re: April Fools posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 19:16:22 GMT

Mark Sandlin wrote:
It's true that we all don't share the same sense of humor, but I'm always
disappointed when some feel that because they don't find it funny, they have
to try to take all the fun out of it for everyone else too.

I'm not trying to take the fun out of it for everyone else, I'm just
pointing out that the community as a whole, by virtue of each
individuals decisions, make a determination of what kind of place this
is. If the community decides that jokes like yours are acceptable, it
will do so, but it will do so possibly at the loss of folks who might
find the atmosphere so created something "unfun" for them. As Bram said,
this is a hobby, it's supposed to be fun. If someone doesn't find it
fun, or doesn't find Lugnet fun, they may want to move on in life. I do
hope though that there is a forum (and .general really isn't the place)
for people to voice the things that bother them. And I would hope that
the readership of that forum would be respectful of those comments.
Perhaps such comments should not be responded to, other than folks who
want to say "I agree". Then the community can decide if the particular
issue is worth addressing.

But never tell anyone what they should find funny, and be careful in
complaining about what people don't find funny. I'm not sure how I feel
about your joke because I didn't get to read it untainted, perhaps I
would have found it funny. What soured that whole incident for me was
that folks who got sucked into the joke were put down for being
concerned about your leaving the community. To me that makes Lugnet very
unfun if compassion is looked on as a stupid thing.

FUT: lugnet.admin.general

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com