 General / 29412
Re: April Fools posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 17:04:16 GMT

Xcalabur wrote:

In lugnet.general, Ian Warfield writes:
Note that the web page posting form stipulates the condition "... I
also swear that I am not submitting any false, fraudulent, incomplete, or
deceptive information."

Doesn't this effectively rule out April Fools jokes?  Are all the April
Fools pranksters now perjurers?

--Ian

I happen to like the April Fool's jokes.  Dunno why, maybe it's the
questioning of whether this is real or fake, or just the hopefulness that
Lego has finally made some truly, utterly amazing stuff (like Ben's prank
from last year.)  I mean, I don't think there should be "pranks" except on
April 1st.  Before or after that kind of defeats the purpose.  But, I must
say that I'm for them 100%, as long as they don't hurt anybody and aren't
illegal.  None that I've seen here are either of those.  IMO, they're just
something for fun and amusement.  Why someone doesn't see them that way, I
don't know, and I won't judge.  But to me, April 1st without the pranks is
like Thanksgiving without the football. :-)

The trouble for me is that the pranks aren't limited to the 1st. Ben's
prank last year wasn't a one day deal. The result for me, is as Scott
said, for some period of time near the 1st (personally for me, I'm
beginning to feel like I should be skeptical all of March), I'm
unwilling to put much stock in anything. Note even that my post about
the Creator sets was questioned (and rightfully so). Should I have even
bothered posting it. How many people aren't responding to it because
they are in skeptic mode right now?

When I was a kid, April Fools was something which happened April 1, and
a few minutes after my dad or whoever pulled on over on us, someone
would realize what was wrong and crack up, or the person pulling the
prank would lose their composure, and we would all have a laugh and life
would move on. I don't think I heard anyone laughing at Ben's prank (and
even less so at Mark's prank this year). Is a joke funny if no one
laughs? Is a joke funny if a few people laugh and a bunch more people
get pissed?

I'm all for humor, but I have to say very few of the pranks have I
laughed at. I did laugh a little at Todd's, but honestly, even that
mostly fell flat on me. Perhaps my sense of humor is just really
impaired by the rest of my life (and this week especially there is some
seriously bad dope going down which I can't talk about here, and which I
desperately wish was an April fools joke, but I'm 99.99% certain it
isn't), I don't know. All I can say is that this year I am far less
enthused about Lugnet than I was last year. As a community, we will
decide what Lugnet is. If people like me are a minority, or at least
don't have the loudest voice, the community may lose some of us. It will
be up to the community as a whole to decide what the atmosphere is here,
and it is up to each individual to decide if that atmosphere is what
they want.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com