 General / 29383
Re: April Fools posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:13:10 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ian Warfield writes:
Note that the web page posting form stipulates the condition "... I
also swear that I am not submitting any false, fraudulent, incomplete, or
deceptive information."

Doesn't this effectively rule out April Fools jokes?  Are all the April
Fools pranksters now perjurers?

IANTL (1) but I think the intent was that you were certifying that the info
you gave on the posting form was true... not that you are promising that
everything you ever say is true. After you fill in the info you also check
the "I agree that i am bound by the ToS(2)" box. The ToS doesn't explicitly
rule out April Fools-ish jokes... Clearly some sort of long term lying
campaign with intent to defraud could probably be construed as against the
ToS but (3) I don't think Todd intended that harmless pranks and spoofs be
completely disallowed.

Clearly, we have seen some situations this year where some people construed
the jokes that some other people played as having gone too far, or having
been initiated in the wrong place, or whatever. But if anything I would say
that we didn't have nearly the high quality of jokes this year that we did
last year, (partly because we're being ultrasensitive??)  which I for one
regret.

I hope that is of some help. Todd can speak definitively, of course.

1 - I am not Todd Lehman. Nor do I play him on TV.
2 - Terms of Service
3 - and judging intent is always dangerous, we can only accurately evaluate
outcomes.

++Lar