 General / 27303
Re: Lego Stories (was Re: Remote Control Figures? (Was Re: Bionicle Sets))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 17:31:09 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Lill writes:
I hope my ambivalence on the subject is clear. I, too, have always preferred
the minifigures without names and without predefined stories, enemies, etc.
However is the pleasure I take in the Star Wars line based solely on the
strength of the models or also on the fact that as a child I imagined myself
to be Luke Skywalker( or Han Solo or a Storm Trooper) and that through this
toy now I can live out that character's adventures and create my own stories
with that character? If children differ in their imaginative capabilities
and play needs(more structured, less structured, guided etc.) then the
question remains how Lego can best address the variety of those needs.

If some children will always only prefer to play with action figures, like
my brother, is it misguided for Lego to try and stretch their product line
to address those preferences? I think a good point for debate is whether the
path that Lego is choosing, the manner in which it is choosing to address
varying play modes, constitutes an irreversible change of focus or of
identity for the company. Is the Lego company becoming an altogether
different thing than it was 20 years ago? In any way are these changes wrong
rather than merely misguided or doomed to failure? Can Lego make these
changes and still philosophically remain the same company as they claim they
are? Am I repeating myself redundantly?

I ask these questions because I know ifr I like what Lego is doing or not
but I wonder constantly whether it is only my perspective as an adult and my
nostalgia for the toy I had as a child that is creating my opinion of the
company today.

Other's thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Jonathan
ps. did my cross posting to .debate work?

   Yes, but to be honest, I'm not sure it's off-topic and thus
   I don't think it needs to be relegated to .o-t.debate.  Best
   to keep it where it is (er, was...), where LEGO-interested
   folks will continue to comment.

   (But for actual o-t xposts, you should probably set followups too.)

   best

   LFB