 General / 27310
Re: Lego Stories (was Re: Remote Control Figures? (Was Re: Bionicle Sets))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 19:33:23 GMT

"Jonathan Lill" <jonathanl@myriadweb.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.general, Timothy D. Freshly writes:
[snip]

I ask these questions because I know ifr I like what Lego is doing or not
but I wonder constantly whether it is only my perspective as an adult and • my
nostalgia for the toy I had as a child that is creating my opinion of the
company today.

Other's thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Jonathan

This is a good point.  It is difficult now as an adult not to impose our
desire for more complexity, more complete sets, etc. onto Lego.  I always
TRY to remember that the primary market is children (although I believe that
AFOLs constitute a larger percentage of that market than Lego attributes).

I also realize that Lego is trying to capture as broad of range of customers
as possible and probably feels as if the background stories and names are
more appealing to today's children and more likely to grab their attention.
I guess I'm just fearful that for many children today, a "Princess Storm"
minifig will ALWAYS be Princess Storm and will NEVER be anything else in
their minds.  That type of self-imposed limits is not what Lego should be
about.

Tim