 General / 27298
27297  |  27299
Subject:
Lego Stories (was Re: Remote Control Figures? (Was Re: Bionicle Sets))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:40:46 GMT

"Jonathan Lill" <jonathanl@myriadweb.com> wrote in message
[snip]
Lego seems to be integrating the themes they introduced with Slizers and
Roboriders with the earlier Technic games of Scorpion Attack and Cyber
challenge (if I got those names right). As well as perhaps pointing the • line
to where it could grow into Mindstorms. Bionicle as a whole looks more
attractive to me now that we can see the whole concept. It is richer and • has
more possibilities than Slizer et al. Perhaps this is not only because of
the range of sets but also beacuse of the back story. Even though that • story
seems like it could be a limiting factor on playability, and the Lego
community understandabily recoils at the notion, it can provide a • structure
to the line. In a sense it is precisely the story that lends real presence
and strength to the Star Wars Lego line so they are not *merely* good • sets.
Or am I wrong?

This brings up a point that has been bothering me ever since I came out of
my dark ages in 1997 (my dark ages began around 1987) - Lego providing a
background story, character names, etc.

Consider that you used to get the set and the name of the set and that was
it.  Anyone with even a scrap of immagination could take the Galaxy Explorer
and explore the galaxy.  The content of the adventures was whatever came
from your imagination.  If the Galaxy Explorer was produced today, it would
be accompanied by a complete background story, names and bios of all the
minifig characters, a story about the "opposing force" and their
motivations, and a description of "the mission".

On one hand, there is the argument that this promotes creativity by
providing a base from which one's imagination can take off.  The
counter-argument is that it limits creativity by providing a "box" of
prepackaged ideas thus discouraging creativity.  I can see merit in both
sides but it still bugs me.  I never needed Lego to provide a story - I came
up with plenty on my own.  Why do they feel the need to do so today?  My
guess is to try to promote interest in the product (I guess they believe
that the quality and versatility of Lego will no longer "sell itself").

Anyone else feel this way?

Tim