 General / 27288
Re: Shell Autoshow Ferrari
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 04:40:27 GMT

Well, hmm, it appears that the kitten has escaped the sack. C'est la Vie.

When I talked to the rep. she said she needed some volunteers to help in the
construction. I would assume that many of the major components are complete it
is only a matter of putting it together.
I thought there might be precedence to this, that perhaps it has been done
before.
About seven years ago I was working as a night stocker at Target. During my
(very) brief tenure there Lego had a promotion to guess how many bricks were in
a statue of a dinosaur. At the time I was buying up all the castle sets I could
get, and it goes without saying that this contest proved very interseting.
I remember the sculptures there were five I think, were shipped in crates. The
crates each held a component. Lego reps build the statues from these parts. The
thing is, the parts were mostly finished, it was a matter on shipping them in
chunks rather than whole sculptures.
An example of this is seen in "The World of Lego Toys" by Henry Wiencek. This
is how the travelling shows are moved about, and Wiencek's book shows the
crated components of the U.S. Capital being unboxed and built.

The contact for this project said there were about 100 to 200 thousend lego
bricks to be put together. I am really excited, but I would say, based on her
implications that it only takes a measurable two days to construct.

Suffice it to say, a camera will be smuggled in for the project.

If these posts are in any way problematic for anyone, the webmaster at this
fine sight has full atority to delete them as is nessesary, but I don't
think it's an issue. I wasn't told to keep quiet.

Tim, it's too bad your in Boston, but how are you liking Bean town? I think
it's a wonderful city.

I think that this should prompt Lugnutters that there is a Giant Lego Sculptur
that is travelling with the autoshow circuit, and I would recommend to all of
you to get out and see it. (just don't look upon the Pontiac Aztec, for it's
hideous visage may smite you and cause you undue nightmares.)

As for me, it combines three of my greatest passions: Lego, Formula One, and
Ferrari!

Nuff said. If any one else has comment, feel free to make fun of me.

GREG~