 General / 2316
Re: Clones & Tente
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 11:29:10 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

I think anything about other non-LEGO® systems would really need a hierarchy
name that clearly suggests "hear ye, hear ye, this is a hierarchy for all
types of construction toys -except- anything produced by the Lego Group."

But that's all getting pretty far outside LUGNET's sphere of focus.  I'd
like to encourage talk of imitation brands or other construction toys about
as much as I'd like to encourage flaming debates over politics and religion.
Don't get me wrong -- I think all of that is great stuff; this just isn't
the place to nurture it.

Well hmm. I see your point. I would put forth an argument that while
LUGNET is not here to foster discussion outside its charter (if you
allow other construction systems, do you then allow ALL toys??? Where
does it stop), a narrowly focused discussion of other systems (how
they've influenced THE toy, and are likely to in the future, what if any
interoperability there is, market share and trends, etc. but
specifically excluding things like "look at my creation", "does anyone
have X to sell", and "Y is better than Z") is within charter.

However, enforcing such razor thin boundaries may be unworkable.

They are worthy of discussion in their own right.

Maybe there are clubs for those on Yahoo!.

Not as convenient. I want to come here for all my toy chitchat. :-) I
can put forth an argument that my convenience is a good thing for
LUGNET, but I won't. This time. :-)

Well, at least you didn't spill bongwater on the boxes.  (Right?  =:*)

Bongs in the kitchen?? Perish the thought. That was a fineable offense.