 General / 2311
Re: tente page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 02:20:32 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In article lugnet.announce, hsadm2.jgonzale@email.state.ut.us (Joseph
Gonzalez) writes:
the construction clone site has the recent addition of a tente page.
http://users.sisna.com/gonzo3/tente.html
[...]

Wow, that's quite an impressive list of clones you have there at the

   http://users.sisna.com/gonzo3/clones.html

page.  I wonder, are there enough LEGO® fans here who are interested in both
LEGO® bricks and imitation brands (such as Tente and Tyco) that we should
set up a separate group here for clones?  (This topic has come up before.)

I would call it something like one of...

   lugnet.off-topic.clones
   lugnet.off-topic.off-brands
   lugnet.off-topic.imitations

If tente is to be included, I'd prefer that it be called off-brands
because I would have to say clearly that tente is no clone. It's not
even a workalike, really.

A dedicated group for clone brands would give people who care about them a
clear place to do so without offending purists*.

I am a purist. Yet I own a fair bit of tente, a whole shoebox full. (1)
None of which is for sale. Purist and Tente. Contradiction? No. I own
lots of Tinkertoys, lots of American Bricks, some Lincoln Logs, some
Kenner Bridge and Girder, some Erector, some of two different brands of
E. German building sets. None of which are clones. All are different
building systems. Megablox and Tyco are clones. Tente isn't. IMHO.

So it doesn't belong under clones, or even off-brands!!!

I'd put it and all the rest I named above under

lugnet.other-systems

because they are not clones. They are worthy of discussion in their own
right.

1 - including about 15 of the same small coast guard cutter with heli
set that came as a premium for mailing in Rice Krispies box tops (2)

2 - I hit the fraternty's cases before anyone else in the house did and
mailed them all in, we were eating cereal with holes in the boxes (3)
for 6 months... Never did live that particular incident down

3 - but not the bags, mind you... I was very careful. Also rather stoned
at the time but that's a different topic.