 General / 2318
Re: Clones & Tente
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 11:39:22 GMT

removed admin.general on this followup, it's not admin..

Todd Lehman wrote:

The fuzzilogical side of me wants to say that Tyco is a 90% clone and
Megablox is an 80% clone and Tente is a 20% clone.  :-)

More than one dimension here.

One is, how compatible is it. (do studs and plugs mate? How many
different kinds of mates? just the basic stud, or does rod system mate
as well, how about Technic cross axle and peg holes?)

Two is, how close of a copy is it dimensionally? How many pieces are
copied? How many are different? Are plates 1/3 thick or only 1/2

Three is, how close is it conceptually (that is, are the themes similar?
Are the scales similar?)

Meg and Tyc are close on all three of these dimensions, I think.

Tente fails One utterly. 0% Fails Two utterly as well. Only in Three is
there any congruence, and even there, much of Tente is to a much smaller
scale. Certainly all ships. Only the trucks are similar to Minifig
scale, but even then, they are closer to realistic scale (a truck seats
3 people across, but the people are much smaller than one minifig.
Implied, not certain, because no figs are supplied.) So I'd even score
it 0% there.

[Hey, now there's a fun research project:  Study the evolution of
construction toys and who came before whom.  Did Erector come before
Technic?  Did it inspire Technic?  :-]

Way before. Erector was out in the 20s or 30s IIRC.