 General / 22874
  Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

That's what I thought... <puts on flame retardant suit> Why then did you post to .general [being for general interest] and not to .loc.us [for items of specific interest to US residents as opposed to the rest of the world]? After all...if I started (...) (24 years ago, 9-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

(...) Ben is 100% correct here. No real harm done, but if this is really a US-only thing, then the discussion should migrate there. An initial announcement crossposting to .general and .loc.us probably ought to be tolerated if it has followups set (...) (24 years ago, 9-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

(...) Oh geez. (...) I suppose a US LUG couldn't post pictures of their meeting for people from all over to see in a non US-specific group, then, right? Simply on the basis that some people from other countries couldn't make it to the meeting. Get (...) (24 years ago, 9-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

(...) Heh heh. He wansn't saying or implying anything that absurd. He's talking about a local contest that's just noise (like a local sale) to anyone outside of the U.S. The U.S. may be a big place, but something local to the U.S. is still local, (...) (24 years ago, 9-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

(...) chipping (...) people (...) I know what you mean...the purpose of multiple newsgroups is to make it *easier* for people to read what they want, not to divide things up so much that you have to scour 74 different newsgroups to figure out where (...) (24 years ago, 9-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

(...) IF you forgot to say that you were in Oz when you saw it. On the other hand people post this all the time and others jump on it and arrange for some cross border buying and selling. But your example is flawed as that post belongs in (...) (24 years ago, 9-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

I don't really see how this is a "US Only" thing just because only "US Residents" can enter the contest. I personally went to look just to see the mural. Granted, not really a good picture of it there, but you don't hear me complaining that Julie (...) (24 years ago, 9-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

(...) If you feel like this (and I do have some sympathy, being in Canada it's irritating to find competitions are US only, or US vendors won't ship outside the US), why did you post the announcement of LegoOz 2000.7 to lugnet.general? Especially (...) (24 years ago, 9-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

(...) The original announcement was so that other would know about the event. [There are a lot of users/lurkers who don't look at the .loc groups.] Because I use a mail server, I was unable to set future/follow-up, and so the reply to my post went (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

(...) That wasn't what my main complaint was about...What I didn't like was that it was posted to .general ONLY, with no reference to .loc.us [where it would have been more appropriate for the following discussion for a US only competition.] I have (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

(...) When I made the original post, I did not know it was US only. I went and checked after you asked. At that point I guess I should have set follow up to .loc.us. When you noticed I didn't, you could have reminded me instead on putting on the ol' (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

(...) Julie, That sounds perfectly logical to me. If a local group is more appropriate due to the fact that something is localized, then the discussion should migrate there, ya (always to the most appropriate group). And Ben, You need to fix or (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

(...) That sounds like the definition for lugnet.announce (which does indeed force you to set followups). My impression is that lugnet.general is for discussions which don't have a better newsgroup (or set of newsgroups) to be discussed in. I think (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

(...) .market.spam comes to mind. :-) --Todd (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

(...) I still think this is a great idea. I would put them under .year.#### though. --Todd (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

(...) Hmm, now that's an interesting hypothetical post. By current rules, it would seem that such a post should not be placed outside of lugnet.market.auction or lugnet.org.au (currently the only two groups I'm aware of which specifically welcome (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

(...) Hear Hear. I suggest Ben be banned from complaining about ANYTHING directly related to Lugnet (don't worry Ben, you can still whinge about how Aussies pay more for stuff and all that, lots left to whinge about...) until he uses the proper (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]

Now hold up a sec! Whilst I agree with Todd, berating Benjamin over something he has no control over won't actually accomplish anything. He has stated, previously, that he has no control over what the server admins do on their machines, and I (...) (24 years ago, 10-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general)

  Noncompliant software (was: Re: Incorrect group posting)

(...) Benjamin may not have control over what mailer his employer uses, but he certainly has control over whether or not his messages appear threaded. If he posts using software that works correctly, his messages will appear threaded. If he posts (...) (24 years ago, 11-Oct-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Paul Davidson wrote in message ... (...) on (...) Ha! Try using a newsreader application instead of the web interface, and that's EXACTLY what one has to do with the threads being FUT'ed all over the place! It's frustrating at times, how so little (...) (24 years ago, 14-Nov-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general)