 General / 22878
Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 04:55:16 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
I suppose a US LUG couldn't post pictures of their meeting for people from
all over to see in a non US-specific group, then, right?  Simply on the
basis that some people from other countries couldn't make it to the meeting.
Get over it.  [...]

Heh heh.  He wansn't saying or implying anything that absurd.  He's talking
about a local contest that's just noise (like a local sale) to anyone outside
of the U.S.

The U.S. may be a big place, but something local to the U.S. is still local,
even if 85% of readers today happen to live in the U.S.

However, since this contest apparently is Some Big Thing and other people
might wanna follow along, there's nothing too bad about crossposting the
announcement of it to .general and setting followups to .loc.us.

I'm certainly tired of hearing whining like this, [...]

I happen to think he's right!  I think people use .general a bit too often
for stuff that's US-only.  If I lived outside the US, it would really bother
the living snot out of me.

--Todd