 General / 22876
Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 04:43:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
That's what I thought...
<puts on flame retardant suit>
Why then did you post to .general [being for general interest] and not to
.loc.us [for items of specific interest to US residents as opposed to the
rest of the world]?

Ben is 100% correct here.  No real harm done, but if this is really a US-only
thing, then the discussion should migrate there.  An initial announcement
crossposting to .general and .loc.us probably ought to be tolerated if it
has followups set to .loc.us for something like this.  (But maybe the original
poster didn't realize it was a US-only thing.)

Todd: any chance you could do something to stop posts about US ONLY items of
info finding their way to areas that aren't US ONLY ? [maybe make it clearer
that .general is NOT for items of interest to ONLY 1 country, no matter what
percentage of lugnet users are from that country?]

OK, I'll add that to the T&C clarifications that I'll be posting this coming
week.

BTW, I think it's a thousand million times more annoying when someone posts
with a broken newsreader/mailer that causes their replies to go in the wrong
place and start new threads.

--Todd