 General / 22909
Re: Incorrect group posting [was RE: cartoonnetwork.com is having an online contest]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 02:14:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Troy Cefaratti writes:
I don't really see how this is a "US Only" thing just because only "US
Residents" can enter the contest.  I personally went to look just to see the
mural.  Granted, not really a good picture of it there, but you don't hear
me complaining that Julie posted a link to a site with crappy pictures.

And i'm sure there are dexter fans outside the US as well.

Troy

That wasn't what my main complaint was about...What I didn't like was that it
was posted to .general ONLY, with no reference to .loc.us [where it would have
been more appropriate for the following discussion for a US only competition.]
I have no problem with the announcement as such being in .general [provided it
is appropriate to be there...it's just the following "looks good", "I've
entered", etc posts that don't belong, and which should have been pointed to
.loc.us [or some other group] initially.

It may just be the way I see the organisation of this site, but to me it seems
that .general, being the main group of lurkers [I believe] should just be for
the initial announcement, with the other groups used for the threads, allowing
new users to look through this group more easily, and giving them a more
welcoming site. At present, it looks dis-organised, and uninviting...Have a
look. If you're using the web browser, go to .general, and then look at the
next 20 messages. At present, lots of posts about studio [town presumably],
but not much else, and certainly not likely to make a new user want to keep
looking.

Anyway, that's my opinion...

Benjamin Whytcross

bwhytcro@pacificaccess.com.au

"Whytcross, Benjamin" <BWhytcro@pacificaccess.com.au> wrote in message
au...
That's what I thought...
<puts on flame retardant suit>
Why then did you post to .general [being for general interest] and not to
.loc.us [for items of specific interest to US residents as opposed to the
rest of the world]?

After all...if I started saying that my local Kmart [neglecting to mention • I
live in Victoria, Australia] had X-Wings for $15 on clearance, and • everyone
around the US went to their local KMart and found that it wasn't there,
there'd be all sorts of complaints. Therefore, I only post things • regarding
Aus in .loc.au and would expect others to act in a similar matter with • their
posts.

In fact, Todd has agreed with this sort of observation in the past [yet • done
little to police it :( ]:
http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.loc.au:494
[I see no difference between sales posts as mentioned, and others like • this
competition.]

Todd: any chance you could do something to stop posts about US ONLY items • of
info finding their way to areas that aren't US ONLY ? [maybe make it • clearer
that .general is NOT for items of interest to ONLY 1 country, no matter • what
percentage of lugnet users are from that country?]

Benjamin Whytcross <awaiting a major flame-ing>
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory...Growing up isn't :-)